Written by: TrainSim-Steve
Following on from our previous announcement, I know you’ve all been waiting patiently for our next update on where things are with Train Sim World, and I’m pleased to share the video above with you all. This time our team shares more about the technology behind Train Sim World and how this comes together to give the most realistic experience ever delivered in a train simulator. Also, as you have all been busy sending in your questions, I’ve pulled some out of the bag and answered them below.
Train Sim World: CSX Heavy Haul Beta
There’s still time to get involved on the Train Sim World: CSX Heavy Haul Beta which starts in early December. To get on-board, all you need to do is own all of the routes featured in TS2017: Pioneers Edition. This special edition of Train Simulator includes our latest and best routes from the UK, North America, Germany, France and Austria as well as the added bonus of becoming a Train Sim World Pioneer with Beta Access to our Train Sim World: CSX Heavy Haul Beta in early December.
Train Simulator 2017: Pioneers Edition includes all of the following:
- Hamburg Lübeck Railway
- Transport your passengers precisely on time along the Vogelfluglinie between Hamburg and Lübeck in the renowned DB BR 218 locomotive.
- North Jersey Coast Line
- Experience the precision of American commuter operations along the North Jersey Coast Line in the modern NJ TRANSIT ALP-45DP locomotive.
- LGV: Marseille – Avignon
- Drive at breakneck speeds along the breath-taking Ligne Grande Vitesse: Marseille Saint Charles to Avignon TGV route in the iconic TGV® Duplex.
- South Wales Coastal: Bristol – Cardiff
- Take in the scenic countryside of Southern Wales in the distinctive Arriva Trains Wales Class 175
- The picture postcard scenery of the Austrian Alps dominates the stunning Semmeringbahn: Mürzzuschlag to Gloggnitz route.
- Train Sim World: CSX Heavy Haul Beta
- Obtain your copy of TS2017 Pioneers Edition before the Beta starts to secure your place on the Beta and be the first to play our next-generation train simulator. Your feedback will help shape the development of this project. The Train Sim World: CSX Heavy Haul Beta will start in December 2016 and is just the start of the journey. We’ll be introducing the other key territory routes as and when they become available.
Click the banner below for more details:
Complete My Collection
Don’t forget, if you already own some of the content featured in TS2017 Pioneers Edition, you’ll be able to complete your collection and only pay for the content you don’t already own.
TS2017 Pioneers Edition (For Existing Players) offers a bundle discount of 75% off the total price of all the content included. While logged into Steam, go to the checkout and you’ll be presented with a total price of just the content that you don’t already own.
- (Q) “Will there be a realistic braking that will include many aspects of braking not currently present in game and will there be a brake pipe connection feature?” from Drew Goff
- (A) As you have probably already realised from watching our video above, SimuGraph allows an unprecedented level of freedom to simulate locomotive systems completely. Locomotives will feature a complete air simulation which means brakes will work as they do in reality. When you apply the brake handle in your locomotive, you’ll find that the last car in your consist will brake at a different time to the first car due to propagation of air in the system needing to travel the length of the train – all of this reproducing the way real trains brake. Of course I’ve simplified things here but the whole process is understandably complex.
- To answer the second part of your question, SimuGraph also allows us to simulate connection of air hoses between vehicles and you’ll see that each vehicle in a consist is connected together when coupled. These hoses and other connections will swing back and forth as the train moves and this movement is not simply an animation – the physics system is driving how this moves, applying movement based on the forces at work.
- (Q) “Will we be able to ‘kick’ cars during switching operations with this new simulator and will we be able to have working, fully functioning ‘Hump Yards’?” from Lance Hall
- (A) Kicking cars is most certainly possible in the the new simulator and we are looking forward to bringing hump yards to Train Sim World in the future. The physics system is a considerable step forward and being able to kick cars and have them roll onward in a way that you would expect them to, as they do in the real world, is fundamental to the core technology behind Train Sim World. SimuGraph makes all of this possible.
- (Q) “Will the brakes on rolling stock be animated in TSW like some diesel locomotive brakes are in TS 2016 and will locomotives and rolling stock have realistic physics?” from eddienzl1
- (A) As you’ve probably already noticed in our video above, SimuGraph allows us to simulate all the components of each vehicle in the consist – so you’ll see brake cylinders and shoes actuate as you apply the brakes. It doesn’t end there, in the not-too-distant future, the brakes will generate heat which will in turn produce ‘brake fade’ and, as the heat builds to extremes, you’ll begin to see sparks as the brake shoes lose their effectiveness ultimately leading to more catastrophic situations.
- SimuGraph provides greater flexibility to build the physics of rail vehicles in a way that makes sense to us as human beings – we’re used to the way the physical world works and we know when things don’t quite seem right. In Train Sim World, locomotives and cars will move, behave and operate just as they do in our real physical world. As a train fan myself, having trains that move in a way that is believable is incredibly important to me, as I’m sure it is to you, and when I’ve been playing some of the early builds of TSW, it always surprises me just how real the trains move and feel. I’m sure when you get to the Beta, you’ll understand exactly what I mean.
We’ll have another Developer Diary for you in the next few weeks so watch out for it. As always, we’re open to receiving your questions, so please feel free to post them below or drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll add them to the list of questions to answer as we move forward.
In the meantime, we’ve dropped in a high quality version of the artwork and two more exclusive screenshots of Train Sim World: CSX Heavy Haul (note you can click on the images to make them larger) to adorn your computer desktop ■