Written by: TrainSim-James
The bespoke and utterly stunning Arosa Line will shortly be arriving for Train Simulator, and from the cab of the Allegra, you’ll get to take in the sights as you battle incredible grades.
The Rhaetian Railway’s Arosa Line is a popular tourist hub with resorts busy all year round. Starting at Chur, the line ascends over 1,100m in order to reach its terminus at Arosa, but not without significant hairpin turns of a steep 6% grade, with multiple tunnels and viaducts – including the nationally important Langwieser Viaduct. If distinct mountainous crossings were not enough, the Arosa Line also shares its rails with the streets of Chur, known as the “Stadtbahn”, imploring vigilance at all times.
The Arosa Line is not just home to passengers, freight facilities populate key areas through the peaks and see frequent traffic both day and night; you must be ready to work the Arosa Line at any hour, without fault. Additionally the main traction on the route is Stadler’s ABe 8/12 Allegra, a 3-car electric multiple unit, so when you’re not taking passengers, you’ll be uniquely using this EMU to haul freight through the mountains.
In Train Simulator, the Arosa Line will feature the 25km railway from Chur to Arosa in Alpine Switzerland, complete with…
- Metre gauge track system with 3D sleepers, animated junction levers and illuminated indicators covering the line.
- RhB signalling system with custom designed signal models and features including:
- Arosa group signals unique to this line.
- Animated Brake Test and “Abfahrbefehl” (departure indicators).
- Operating “Besetztes Gleis” indicators for entering occupied platforms.
- Three state ground signals that function correctly between main signals.
- ZSI-90 Safety System track magnets and in-cabin equipment.
- All new request stop features designed especially for the Arosa Line.
- Over 100 overhead line equipment and catenary models.
- Dynamically operating pantographs for the ABe 8/12 Allegra. Player locomotives have pantographs that dynamically follow the height of the overhead wires and lower through tunnels.
- Over 50 custom bridge and tunnel portal models designed to accurately represent the stunning engineering of the route.
- Highly detailed station models designed from Thomson Interactive’s survey of the route in early 2017 along with many other feature models along the line.
- Animated ski lift models in Arosa.
- Detailed rock face models to capture the breath-taking scenery of the route.
- All new ABe 8/12 Allegra Electric Multiple Unit in branded RhB livery with correct body side nameplates for all fifteen set numbers (3501 – 3515). Dynamic and selectable pantographs with sparking feature. Animated wing mirrors and exterior driver character that automatically moves to the driving end of the train. Player selectable destination system. Automatic speed control system and a host of other in cabin features.
- Passenger view for the EWA coach of the Allegra where you can take in the breath-taking scenery and observe the driver’s cabin through the glass partition.
- Lb-v container wagons, Sp-w timber wagons and all-new Fac hopper wagons are included.
- Route fully configured for Quick Drive scenarios and Allegra trainset compatible with our existing Albula route Quick Drive (Albula Line available separately).
- 7 x Career scenarios including a guided tutorial for the ABe 8/12 Allegra train.
- 3 x Railfan mode scenarios.
The release of Thomson Interactive’s highly anticipated Arosa Line draws ever closer, so make sure you keep an eye out for any news! ■